CHI Tools and Resources
To help implement Healthy Eating Active Living programs in your communities we make available authoritative, tried, tested and true information to help you design an appropriate plan, communicate to key stakeholders, and assess your results.
CHI Background Materials
- Not available to public subscribers.
Reports, Papers and Presentations
Evidence-base for HEAL practices and programs
- A Community Intervention Reduces BMI z-score in Children: Shape Up Somerville First Year Results– May 2007 Obesity article describes the results from a community-based environmental change intervention that resulted in a decrease in BMI z-score in children at high risk for obesity.
- National Academy for State Health Policy: State Approaches to Childhood Obesity
- A Qualitative Exploration of Alternative Strategies for Building Community Health Partnerships: Collaboration- Versus Issue-Oriented Approaches
- October 2005 Journal of Urban Health article analyzes 34 "successful" community health partnerships and their achievements.
- City and Regional Planning: A Primer for Public Health Officials
- May/June 2005 American Journal of Health Promotion outlines city and regional planning fundamentals to help public health practitioners better understand plan making and plan implementation. Includes the development project review process, as well as examples of how three local public health agencies are currently involved in planning.
- Communities And Health Policy: A Pathway For Change– March/April 2005 Health
- New research in Public Affairs article documents the impact of physical, social, and economic environmental factors on health: air quality, housing conditions, racism, relationship to community institutions, and neighborhood economic conditions.
- Finding Trouble Spots on the Walk to School
- Kaiser Permanente supports Chula Vista in helping ensure that kids can walk and bike safely to school.
- Food Marketing to Children and Youth: Threat or Opportunity?
- Executive Summary of the 2006 Institute of Medicine report on the impact of food and beverage marketing on the dietary patterns and health status of American children.
- High School Actors Perform to Fight Childhood Obesity
- As part of Kaiser Permanente's "Teens Take It On" Educational Theatre Program effort, Wheat Ridge High School student actors worked with trainers to develop skits about healthy eating and activie living, which they performed for elementary schools around Jefferson County. Other students put together commercials and an advocacy campaign they hope to share with elementary students as well.
- Kaiser Permanente Institute of Health Policy "Roundtable Report" Background Paper on Obesity
- Kaiser Permanente Institute of Health Policy "Roundtable Report" on Obesity
- 2004 Kaiser Permanente TV Turnoff Report (12/2004)
- A Potential Decline in Life Expectancy in the United States in the 21st Century
- March 2005 New England Journal of Medicine article details how obesity may change the steady rise in life expectancy of the past two centuries.
- Excess Deaths Associated With Underweight, Overweight, and Obesity
- April 2005 Journal of the American Medical Association article links obesity with excess mortality
- Prevalence of Overweight and Obesity in the United States, 1999-2004
- A Nation at Risk - Obesity in the United States: A Statistical Sourcebook
- F as in Fat: How Obesity Policies are Failing in America
- August 2005 report from The Trust for America's Health compiles state-by-state obesity statistics, statewide school obesity prevention policies, and examples and suggestions for interventions in schools, communities, worksites, commercial and healthcare settings.
- Healthy Food, Healthy Communities
- PolicyLink report outlines strategies for improving food access and opportunities in low-income communities through food retailing.
- Safe Routes To Healthy Foods Toolkit
- Sponsored by California Nutrition Network and USDA to assist public health professionals and others in visioning, assessing, planning, encouraging and implementing healthy, active communities throughout California (and beyond).
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence's Guidance on Four Commonly Used Methods to Increase Physical Activity
- Provides guidance on brief interventions in primary care designed to increase physical activity: pedometers, exercise referral schemes, and community-based exercise programs for walking and cycling.
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence's Briefing on Promotion of Physical Activity Among Adults
- Provides evidence-based actions for physical activity interventions that can help increase and maintain the uptake of physical activity among adults. It integrates published scientific literature with practitioner expertise and experience, including advice on how to overcome typical barriers and obstacles to effective practice.
- A Public Health Professional's Guide to Key Land Use and Transportation Planning Policies and Processes
- Developed by Safe & Healthy Communities Consulting
- California Guidance for the Development of California School Wellness Policies
- Colorado Worksite Resource Kit
- Documents related to the Colorado Region's Thriving Together Partnership *
- "Taking Action for a Healthier California"
- Recommendations to Improve Healthy Food and Activity Options
- Guide to Community Preventive Services
- Provides public health decision-makers with recommendations regarding population-based interventions to promote health and to prevent disease, injury, disability, and premature death, appropriate for use by communities and health care systems.
Increasing physical activity»
- Environmental Nutrition and Activity Community Tool (ENACT)
- Strategic Alliance strategies for improving nutrition and activity environments on a local level.
- Not available to public subscribers.
- TV Turnoff Materials
Brand Meeting Presentation - March 2005
HEAL Presentation to National Academy of State Health Policy (August 2005)
HEAL Progress Report Presentation to Board of Directors (April 2005)
HEAL Strategy Overview
Letter to School District Encouraging School Involvement in HEAL/CHI
- Amazing Food Detective (AFD) Communication Toolkit
- AFD FAQs Schools zip code list by region
Childhood obesity fact sheet
AFD talking points
AFD article template
- Scholastic Materials
- Health Habits Calendar
Case Files of a Healthy Class
Welcome Teachers letter
Get on the Case Poster
Healthy Habit Forming
Get Your Class Moving - Teacher resource page
Curriculum Standards and Benchmarks
Student Writing Activity
Take home pages
- Not available to public subscribers.
Community-Level Assessment Tools
- Workplace Walkability Audit Tool
Published as part of an article in Sept/Oct 2005 American Journal of Health Promotion.
USDA Community Food Security Assessment Toolkit
Mapping the Assets of Your Community: A Key Component for Building Local Capacity
Uncovering Local Assets: The Foundation for Building Stronger Communities
Environmental Supports for Physical Activity Questionnaire
Neighborhood Environment Walkability Scale
School Health Index Elementary School Module
Checklist of Health Promotion Environments At Worksites (CHEW)
Prevention Quality Indicators (PQIs) Summary & User's Guide
Walkability Survey (Spanish)
Healthy Communities Tool Kit (WA State Dept of Health)
- Neighborhood walkability
Grocery and convenience stores, eating establishments
- Southern CA's Parks & Recreation Nutrition Training Toolkit
- Get More Energy! Keeping Children Healthy
Science of Nutrition for City of LA Recs and Parks
Farmers Markets Resources
- Kaiser Permanente Farmers Market Resource Guide
Farmers Market Patron Survey in English
Farmers Market Patron Survey in Spanish
Farmers Market Patron Survey in Chinese
Farmers Market Patron Survey 2005 - Summary of Cross-Site Results