Child Health Program
A healthy future starts today
The health of your children affects everything about them: Their energy, their emotions, and even their grades in school. You can help your children's health by enrolling them in Kaiser Permanente’s Child Health Program.
How it works
The Child Health Program gives coverage to children under 19 who don’t have access to health coverage.
When your children are covered by the Child Health Program, they're enrolled into the Kaiser Permanente Platinum - 90 HMO plan. You also get financial help in the following two ways:
- Help paying your monthly premiums — Based on your family's size and income, your monthly payment will be $0, $10, or $20 per child, for up to 3 children. Additional children are covered at no extra charge.
- Coverage for most services — You pay no out-of-pocket costs for most services that you get at Kaiser Permanente facilities. If your children receive care somewhere other than Kaiser Permanente, you'll have to pay the costs on your own.
Your Children may qualify for Medi-Cal instead of CHP
Starting May 1, 2016, the California Department of Health Care Services will begin providing Medi-Cal coverage to all low income children under the age of 19, regardless of immigration status. Medi-Cal coverage offers a comprehensive set of benefits for children comparable to those available to CHP members.
If your family's total annual household income is less than 267% of the federal poverty level or $64,638 for a family of 4 per 2016 guidelines, your child may be eligible.
If you apply and your child is accepted in Medi-Cal, you will need to select a health plan and/or provider for your child. Depending on where you live, you may be able to select Kaiser Permanente as your child's health plan and/or provider and continue to see the same Kaiser Permanente doctor, if you choose. Find out if Medi-Cal with KP is available in your area.
If you have questions about Medi-Cal with Kaiser Permanente, please call the Kaiser Permanente Medicaid Assistance Center at 1-800-557-4515 (toll free) or 711 (TTY) from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Español: 1-800-545-7263.
Please note, any personal information that you give when applying for Medi-Cal is confidential and will not be shared with immigration enforcement. The state uses your information only to see if you qualify for health insurance.
Applying for coverage in the Child Health Program
Open enrollment for 2016 is now closed.
Missed open enrollment?
You can only apply or change coverage if you experience a triggering event. Examples of triggering events include getting married, getting divorced, and losing coverage because you lost your job.
In general, you can enroll during this "Special Enrollment" period up to 60 days after a triggering event. To enroll, you'll need to send us:
• A letter that describes the event
• Documentation supporting the event
• Your application for health coverage
• The Kaiser Permanente Subsidy Eligibility Form