How to Apply - Clinical Psychology Postdoctoral Residency Programs
(For Mental Health Internships, click here.)
Qualifications of Candidates
Candidates must complete all requirements for their doctoral degree from a clinical or counseling psychology program no later than August 31st for the residency program that begins in September of the same year. Candidates must have graduated from APA-accredited doctoral programs and completed their pre-doctoral internships at APA-accredited and/or APPIC-member programs. In addition, qualified candidates must be authorized to work in the United States without an employer-sponsored visa (e.g. H-1B, TN) or a student visa (e.g. F-1 OPT).
Please note: Our postdoctoral residencies are specifically designed as training positions, and we accept only those applicants who are in need of SPE postdoctoral hours in order to achieve licensure. We regret that we cannot accept any applicant who has (or will have, by program start date) already completed a postdoctoral training year, and/or achieved licensure.
All selected applicants MUST have completed all requirements for their doctoral degrees before starting the formal program.
The training program's selection process is directed toward identifying postdoctoral candidates who have competencies in providing individual and group psychotherapy and who have had exposure to models of brief therapy. In addition, targeted applicants have experience working with diverse clientele, are familiar with evidence-based treatments, and have experience administering psychological assessments.
Positions are typically posted in early December, and all applications are due by January 15th for the training year that begins the following September. However, a number of positions may be posted from late December through early January, so please be sure to revisit the KP jobs website to find these later additions.
Also, it should be noted that in recent years, the bulk of applications have been received during the last few days before the deadline. Please know that we review applications upon their receipt and schedule our limited interview times, accordingly. Therefore, applicants are advised to submit their applications as early as possible. It is recommended that applicants complete Part One of the two-part process outlined in the “General Application Requirements” section, below, before our positions are posted.
All positions close after January 15th. If, by the application deadline, an insufficient number of qualified applicants have applied to any position, that position may be re-opened to receive additional applications. Applicants should check the KP jobs website for these re-opened postings.
Interviews take place from late January through mid-March. "Uniform Notification Day" (UND), the day when training positions are offered to selected candidates, is coordinated with other postdoctoral programs in Northern California. For the 2013-2014 training year, our Northern California UND takes place on March 13, 2013. The 2013-2014 postdoctoral training year begins on Monday, September 9, 2013 and concludes on September 5th, 2014.
General Application Requirements
- 1. Each applicant must first create an account and job profile on jobs.kp.org. Follow these instructions♦ to create your profile. This can be completed at any time prior to applying for a posted position. Due to the relatively short posting window of our positions, applicants are advised not to wait until the position is posted in order to complete this step.
- When creating your on-line profile, please attach:
- - Current resume
- - Three letters of recommendation:
- One letter must be from most recent primary clinical supervisor.
- If you experience trouble uploading a letter due to its size, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- In the event that your reference will not send a recommendation to you directly, please provide them with Contact Information for the training director(s) at the training site(s) of your choice.
- 2. Each applicant must also locate and apply to the correct KP job listing(s):
- Search for job postings, starting in early December, by following page two of these instructions♦, and selecting these parameters:
- Area of Interest: Behavioral/Mental Health
- Location 1: California
- Location 2: Enter specific Training Site (jobs are listed by actual training site, not by consortium)
- Complete one application, then add additional training sites to your “job cart”
Letters of intent and auxiliary information: Training directors may contact you to request a cover letter and other additional documents. Please do not send these additional items until requested to do so—Thank you!
Additional Application Requirements/Information
- For additional application details, available before jobs are posted in mid-December, and for details relating to specific qualifications for each individual position, available after jobs are posted, please visit www.kp.org/jobs .
- Many programs have additional application requirements. See individual program pages for details.
Questions? If you experience any difficulty with the application process, please contact Renee J. Tassio at 650-742-3771 or email her at email@example.com.
♦ You will need the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to read this file.